- -- Select an Option --
- at a glance.
- with an expert.
Let’s make you a licensed teacher.
Teacher Licensure, Simplified
Getting licensed to become a teacher might seem daunting, but we’ve got you covered. Let's start with the basics.
Do I have to get licensed to teach?
Short answer: Yes. Long answer: There are many different types of licenses, depending on where and what you want to teach. When you get licensed, you become eligible to teach certain subjects and grades in North Carolina. You may be eligible for a special license if you have career experience or if you've been licensed to teach in another state.
How do I get licensed?
There are several paths to licensure. Step one is finding the right path for you, whether it’s entering a teaching program as an undergrad or through a master’s degree, an alternative preparation program, or anywhere in between.
Want to discuss your options? Talk to a coach.
What should I know before getting started?
Since requirements differ by subject, specialty and grade level, deciding who and what you want to teach can go a long way.
All Your Options in One Place
Ready to discover the licenses you’ll need to teach in North Carolina? Here’s an interactive catalog to help narrow your search.
- Select the grades and/or subjects you're interested in teaching, and the chart will update to show you what licenses you need.
- Hover to explore additional notes and details.
Expert Advice for an Expert Applicant
Not sure where to start? Sign up for 1-on-1 advice with one of our coaches. We’ll help find the path that’s right for you.
- Personalized Advice. Our coaches get to know you, so the advice is worthwhile.
- Three Ways to Chat. Phone, video or email—we’ve got you covered. (Text coming soon!)
- Free Tools and Resources. Get an all-access pass to every TEACH product and service once you schedule a call.
Create an Account
Sign up for your free, all-access pass to TEACH products and services.
- Create a career roadmap.
- Get 1-on-1 expert advice.
- Follow how-to guides for getting licensed.
- Access prep program application checklists.
- Claim fee reimbursements towards application and testing expenses.
We’re always working on something new to help the next generation of great teachers. With an account, you get first dibs!
Enter your email to get the updates that matter.
- Career insights.
- Teacher spotlights.
- Think pieces on the state of education.
- Deadline reminders.
You can always customize what and when you hear from us.