North Carolina Teacher Salary
As a North Carolina teacher, you’ll receive a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and opportunities to grow your career. We'll tell you everything you need to know.
North Carolina’s average teacher salary is around $54,27, and most salaries are on the rise.
On this page, you'll find everything you need to know about salary and benefits for North Carolina teachers.
Get information on:
How Much Do Teachers Make In North Carolina?
There are a number of ways you can increase your salary, including advanced degrees, leading extracurriculars and pursuing advanced certifications or meeting performance benchmarks.
How Much Do Similar Professions Make in North Carolina?
Salary numbers are important information, but you may also be wondering how teacher salaries compare to other professions.
A North Carolina school teacher salary is comparable to or even higher than many other fields.
Compare average salaries and work days across the state (4):
|Community Health Worker||$39K|
|Paralegal or Legal Assistant||$47K|
Benefits for Teachers
Now is a great time to become a teacher. Teachers are in high demand across North Carolina, and the number of teaching opportunities is projected to grow in the coming years.
How Much Job Security Will I Have as a Teacher?
Now is a great time to become a teacher. Teachers are in high demand across North Carolina, and the number of teaching opportunities is projected to grow in the coming years. (6)
You’ll have extra job security if you get licensed in a hard-to-fill subject area. In North Carolina, hard-to-fill areas include:
- Early childhood
- Elementary school
- Exceptional children
- English as a Second Language
- World languages
- Pogarcic, Anna. “N.C. House releases full budget with salary proposals.” EdNC. August 9, 2021. EdNC.org.
- National Education Association. “Teacher Pay and Spending: How Does Your State Rank?” April 23, 2021.
- National Board Certification. NC Department of Public Instruction. DPI.NC.gov.
- Salary Finder, CareerOneStop. U.S. Department of Labor. Careeronestop.org.
- Teachers’ & State Employees’ Retirement System Handbook. North Carolina Department of State Treasurer. NC.gov.
- Careers With Most Openings, CareerOneStop. U.S. Department of Labor. Careeronestop.org
- CMS Teacher Leadership. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. CMS.K12.NC.us.
- New Hanover County Schools Extra Duty Pay Rates, 2021-22. New Hanover County Schools. NCHS.net.
- Wake County Public School 2020-2021 Mentor Coordinator and Mentor Extra Duty Salary Schedule. Wake County Public School System. WCPSS.net
Create an Account
Sign up for your free, all-access pass to TEACH products and services.
- Create a career roadmap.
- Get 1-on-1 expert advice.
- Follow how-to guides for getting licensed.
- Access prep program application checklists.
- Claim fee reimbursements towards application and testing expenses.
We’re always working on something new to help the next generation of great teachers. With an account, you get first dibs!
Enter your email to get the updates that matter.
- Career insights.
- Teacher spotlights.
- Think pieces on the state of education.
- Deadline reminders.
You can always customize what and when you hear from us.